After the year we have all had, we think you all deserve an early Christmas gift. In this blog we have put together 24 excellent tips and tricks on how to work faster, more efficiently and to get the most out of Business Central or NAV.
1. Personalise your home screen – Did you know that your home screen in Business Central can be customised to suit the particular user or user group? It provides you with easy access to common actions, activities, graphs, reports and lists. Once your home screen has been configured by the administrator, you, as a user, can also customise the layout to best suit your personal preference.
2. Personalise your menus – In addition, you can also customise your menus. This allows you easy access to something that is missing from your role centre. To do this, use the search function in the upper right of the page. Find the page, task, report or documentation that you want and then bookmark the item. Once this is done, the function will be added to your role centre’s menu.
Watch our webinar, Top 5 Things you need to know about Role Centres for more tips and tricks.
3. List customisation – You can also customise which columns to display in a list and in what order they should be displayed by clicking on the gear in the upper right corner and selecting Personalise. This will allow you to add new fields into your list. You can also move fields in the list, hide fields, lock fields and resize them.
4. Forms customisation – In the same way, you can personalise the layout of forms. To do this, while in Personalise mode, move the cursor over the field in a form. When a red arrow appears, click on it and a pop-up menu with various options will display.
5. Factboxes customisation – FactBoxes can be easily customised to show as much or as little information as you require.
6. FastTabs customisation – FastTabs customisation allows you to highlight important information from FastTabs when they are collapsed.
7. Adding filtering to pages that don’t have them -It is possible to add filters in BC and NAV where you didn’t think you could. This is done by going to the page where you want to add the filter, click Customise, Customise this Page and then click Show Filter Pane. This will then display the standard Filter box on your page.
8. Filtering to certain values – You are one easy click away from filtering by specific criteria. There are a number of ways to do this in Business Central and NAV. You can use the Search option, Filter or Filter to this Value options when you right-click on a specific column in a list or use the F3 shortcut (F3 is the shortcut for Search. Shift+F3 is the shortcut for Filter).
9. Saving Filtered Views – If there are filters you regularly use, you can save them in the Filter Pane as a list view with a recognisable name. This allows you to retrieve them whenever you need them. To permanently save filters as a named view of the list, choose the Save icon in the Filter Pane.
General business functionality
10. Edit in Excel – You can easily edit information in Business Central (BC only functionality) using Excel. If you only want to open the records in Excel to do calculations or similar, select the Open in Excel option. The items displayed in the list will then be added to a new Excel spreadsheet that is downloaded. You can also, with the help of an Excel add-on, open the list in Excel for editing and then import the updates back into Business Central.
11. My notifications – Business Central can help you work smarter by notifying you about certain events or changes in status, such as when you are about to invoice a customer who has an overdue balance. These notifications are shown as discreet tips in the context of the task you are doing. You can choose to ignore the notification or to see details about the issue. Click here to find out more.
12. User tasks – User tasks help you keep track of all the activities and tasks to be performed in Business Central. You can create and assign to you or your employees’ tasks to be performed at specific times with information and links to the routines that should be used. To get the list of your tasks, you can either search for User Tasks or open the Pending User Tasks icon-stack on your homepage.
13. Preview postings – On every document and journal that can be posted, you can choose the Preview Posting button to review the different types of entries that will be created when you post the document or journal. Pressing this button will cause the system to run its accounting routines in the usual way but it does this without permanently saving transactions and posted documents.
14. Editing posted documents – Sometimes you need to update a posted document because information that is relevant to the document, such as a tracking number on a sales document, has changed. You can make these changes on an editable version of the document which is indicated by “’Update” in the page title. This page contains a subset of the fields on the original document, some of which are editable and others that are non-editable and are shown for information only. Click here for further details on the editable documents and a step-by-step guide on how to do this.
15. Managing roundings – Click here to find out how easy it is to correct figures in document that you have received from other companies, such as when different systems round numbers differently.
16. Use job queues to schedule tasks – Job queues in Business Central allows users to run specific reports and codeunits. The user can set jobs to run once or on a recurring basis. For example, you may want to run a sales report on a weekly basis to track sales each week or you might want to run Delegate Approval Requests codeunit daily to prevent documents from piling up or blocking the workflow. Click here for details of how to set up various types of job queues effectively.
17. TVision add-ons – Business Central functionality out of the box is often satisfactory for most organisations. However, there are sometimes a number of tasks that crop up that you may need assistance with. For these, TVision’s highly skilled in-house team have developed, created and tested a set of add-ons aimed at streamlining daily tasks and making your lives easier. These include Credit Control Notepad and BACS files import. Click here for the full list and further details.
18. Third party add-ons – As well as the TVision add-ons, we also offer a wide range of tried and trusted third party add-ons and extensions for Microsoft Business Central and Dynamics NAV. These include BI and Reporting add-ons, Document Processing/OCR and Bar Code Scanning. Click here for the full list and further details.
19. Business Central’s built-in help feature – Business Central has many ways to help the user find the right features and explain how the system is used in the most effective and efficient way. You can get online help by clicking on the question mark at the top right of the screen and choosing Help and support. This where you can find links to resources that can help you find answers to your questions.
20. Search function – Another way to get help is to use the search feature to ask questions to Business Central. For example, you want to know how to raise a project invoice. You can then use the search function to enter your query, “How do I raise a project invoice?” and Business Central will then supply you with links to current actions, pages, tasks and documentation linked to this query.
21. Microsoft Learn – As part of the Microsoft Family, you have access to Microsoft Learn, a free, online training platform that provides interactive learning for Microsoft products and more. The goal is to help you become proficient in Microsoft technologies and learn more skills with fun, guided, hands-on, interactive content that’s specific to your role and goals.
22. Microsoft Community – As part of the Microsoft family, you also have access to the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Community website. On here you can get help from experts and peers in forums, discover blogs, webinars, videos, events, and more.
23. Third-party blogs – There are a wide range of third-party blogs out there about Business Central, some written by independent experts and others (such as this one) written by Microsoft Partners who offer Business Central in their product portfolio. Two blogs which I regularly read are Roberto Steffanetti’s Business Central blog and MSDynamicsWorld’s blogs and articles.
24. Contact TVision – TVision is the UK’s go-to partner for Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central. Whether you are already a client or new to us, contact us for any help you need to either start your Business Central journey or get the help and support to take the journey further.